In the ever-evolving construction market, addressing challenges like plane deviation and out-of-plumb walls on the external envelope is crucial for achieving a solution for structural misalignment while meeting the unique needs of each project for structural, thermal and NFPA requirements. The GreenGirt Delta adjustable continuous insulation system is a game-changing product that offers an all-in-one solution to these issues. The article will dive deep into how this innovative system can help overcome common building envelope challenges.
Common Building Envelope Challenges
When it comes to constructing a high-performing, energy-efficient building envelope, whether it is new construction or a retrofit project, one of the most common challenges faced by builders and architects is uneven substrates. Uneven surfaces can create a myriad of issues, including impaired energy efficiency, water-related issues, and structural instability.
The Importance of a Flat Substrate
A flat and level substrate is essential for the proper installation of building envelopes, such as cladding and insulation. An uneven substrate can lead to various issues, including:
- Poor Insulation Performance: Gaps created between the insulation and the uneven substrate can result in reduced thermal efficiency, causing heat transfer and increasing energy consumption.
- Water Intrusion: Uneven surfaces can also promote water infiltration, leading to moisture-related issues such as mold growth and structural damage.
- Structural Misalignment: A misaligned substrate can cause complications during the installation of cladding systems and other building envelope components, potentially compromising their structural integrity and aesthetic.
Identifying and Addressing Uneven Substrates
Addressing uneven substrates is a critical step in the construction process, as it ensures proper installation and performance of building envelope systems. Traditional methods for leveling uneven substrates often involve labor-intensive and time-consuming processes, such as grinding or sanding down high spots, applying self-leveling compounds, or using shims to balance out the surface.
These methods can significantly increase project timelines and labor costs, as they require skilled workers to meticulously assess the correct the substrate’s irregularities. Furthermore, some of these techniques may only provide a temporary solution or can lead to additional challenges, such as compatibility issues with building materials.
As a result, it is essential to carefully evaluate the most efficient and effective approach to addressing uneven substrates in order to maintain project schedules and budgets while ensuring the long-term performance of the building envelope.
Introducing GreenGirt Delta Adjustable System – The All-in-One Continuous Insulation Solution
If you are looking for an effective and efficient solution to tackle common sub-framing challenges such as uneven substrates, plane deviations, and out-of-plumb walls, look no further than the GreenGirt Delta Adjustable continuous insulation system. This innovative insulation system offers a comprehensive approach to address these issues, ensuring enhanced energy efficiency, structural integrity, and an efficient installation for your construction projects.
Green Girt Delta stands out from the other continuous insulation systems due to its unique features and benefits:
- Structural Composite Metal Hybrid (CMH) Components: The use of CMH components in GreenGirt Delta Adjustable sets it apart from traditional continuous insulation systems. These components provide superior strength and durability while eliminating thermal bridging caused by metal framing and through-metal fasteners.
- Ease of Design: GreenGirt Delta Adjustable clips must always be installed in a vertical orientation, however, the system still offers a horizontal and vertical solution for your building envelope design. If your design requires a horizontal adjustable system, horizontal hat channels can be installed to the GreenGirt Delta adjustable clips/rails to reach your design goals. Reference images below. (IMAGES COMING SOON)
- Dual Grip Retention Technology: This patented technology ensures that the L-Rail and insulation remain securely in place during installation and throughout the life of the building. Dual Grip Retention Technology not only simplifies the installation process but also reduces labor costs.
- High Thermal Efficiency: GreenGirt Delta boasts impressive thermal efficiencies of 92-98%, significantly reducing energy consumption and associated costs. The system’s design eliminates thermal bridging, ensuring optimal insulation performance by removing through-wall and through-metal fasteners.
- Adjustable Base Bracket Design: The adjustable bracket design allows for easy accommodation of plane deviations and out-of-plumb walls, with industry-leading adjustability ranging from 0.25″ – 4.50″ plus the L- or Z-base bracket depth (available in 2″, 3″, 4″, 5″, 6″).
- Universal Substrate and Cladding Attachment: GreenGirt Delta is compatible with various cladding types and can be used on multiple substrates, including metal studs, concrete masonry unit (CMU), and concrete. This versatility simplifies the construction process while maintaining high-quality insulation performance.
- Compliance with Industry Standards: GreenGirt Delta is ASTM E84 Class A and NFPA 285 compliant, ensuring compliance to industry standards for fire resistance and safety.
The superiority of GreenGirt Delta Adjustable lies in its ability to address specific challenges related to plane deviations and out-of-plumb walls effectively. By offering a comprehensive solution that combines innovative design, advanced technology, and ease of installation, GreenGirt Delta raises the bar for insulation systems in the construction industry.
GreenGirt Delta System Components and Functionality
Below, we will take a look at the two primary components of the GreenGirt Delta adjustable system –GreenGirt Delta base brackets and clips or rails – and their role in providing an innovative and efficient solution for exterior wall plane deviations while addressing common building challenges such as uneven substrates.
- GreenGirt Delta Base Bracket: The GreenGirt Delta base bracket is a critical component of the GreenGirt Delta adjustable system, designed to provide an efficient and customizable solution for exterior wall installations. The GreenGirt Delta base bracket comprises a composite metal hybrid (CMH) material that combines the thermal efficiency of composites with the structural strength of the metal. Metal inserts are placed in each flange of the base bracket for maximum fastener retention for substrate and cladding attachment. This innovative bracket is available in both L- and Z-profiles, allowing customization according to the specific needs of any project.
All GreenGirt Delta base Brackets are 6″ in length and come in various depths to match insulation specifications, including 2″, 3″, 4″, 5″, and 6″. This range of depth options allows for optimal thermal performance and adaptability to different insulation thicknesses, ensuring that the system meets the energy efficiency requirements.
The GreenGirt Delta base brackets have been meticulously designed to address the challenges of thermal expansion. Base brackets come in fixed and slotted varieties, and our engineering team helps determine where each specific base bracket needs to be with best practice, including structural integrity in mind.
- Clips or Rails (CMH or Metal): Clips are a 6″ L-profile, made of either CMH or metal, which is used with the GreenGirt Delta base brackets. The L-rail, commonly 8′ or 10′ long and made of CMH or metal, is designed to provide a robust and versatile connection point for cladding or additional sub-framing attachments within building envelopes. The base bracket’s Dual Grip retention technology allows the rails to slide forward or back and adjust as necessary while still holding the clip/rail in place until side-stitch fasteners are installed.
The clip or rail, engineered with precision and durability, allows for seamless integration with various cladding materials while correcting uneven and out-of-plumb substrates. Combined with GreenGirt Delta base brackets, rails or clips bring the insulation plane outward, creating an even cladding attachment plane, all while eliminating thermal bridging and offering maximum thermal efficiency.
The GreenGirt Delta adjustable system stands out as an innovative solution that effectively tackles the complexities of out-of-plumb walls and plane deviations by providing a “self-shimming” system. Its unique design allows for simple and intuitive adjustments during the installation process, ensuring a structurally sound and thermally efficient building envelope. This system not only improves the overall performance of the building but offers a more efficient installation process than traditional methods for correcting uneven substrates.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to A2P’s team of experts. We are here to guide you in designing and implementing the GreenGirt Delta adjustable continuous insulation system for optimal results.
Take the first step towards mastering the complexities of plane deviations by contacting us or exploring the wealth of resources available on our website, including detailed explanations, comparisons, real-world examples, and industry-specific information.
© 2023 Advanced Architectural Products